Monday, May 7, 2007
A Modern H.C. Andersen Statue


In case of you weren't aware who this H.C. Andersen person I talk about and post pictures of his statues around Odense is: he's a famous children's fairytale writer who was born here in Odense (but moved to Copenhagen in his teens, as he hated it here in Odense, and eventually died in Copenhagen). He wrote The Ugly Duckling and The Little Mermaid, just to name a couple.

Anyway, if you couldn't already tell, the people of Odense just LOVE him here. And I mean LOVE him. There are dozens of statues, his old house (which actually hasn't technically ever been proven that he ever lived there in the first place) has been turned into a museum, there's a festival each year on his birthday... and so on and so on.

I was horrified, though, when they built this statue right outside the Fyens Stiftstidende (local newspaper) building, opposite the train station. It is the most... ugly, intrusive and visually offensive statue I have ever seen. Now, Hans was not a looker by any means, and they seem to make him even more ugly with this statue; his ears and nose even BIGGER. But maybe that part's just me!

It's a huge statue of three of him entwined at the bottom in twists, instead of his legs. The only cool factor about it is that it has a neat little fountain in the middle, but it's so tiny you can barely see it. They finished building it around a year ago, maybe less. I just hate it so much. Everyone I talk to agrees.

But I thought I'd post it to let you decide. This is the most flattering angle I could take it from - here his nose doesn't look so big, but you get the overall gist of what it looks like.

Tell me your thoughts on it!
posted by Erin @ 9:21:00 PM  
1 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
A daily photo from Odense, Denmark - the third largest city in DK! Situated on the island of Funen.
About Me

Name: Erin
Home: Odense, Funen, Denmark
About Me:
See my complete profile
Previous Post
Archives
Shoutbox

Name :
Web URL :
Message :

Other Daily Photo Blogs
Powered by

hit counter account login
BLOGGER