Sunday, June 24, 2007
Skovsøen


Last night - like they do every year around (though not always on) the longest day of the year - they had a big bonfire, gathering and music... I wouldn't call it festival but there was a large stage with music groups playing on it for hours. It's out in the forrest; "skovsøen" literally means 'the forrest lake'. A phenomenal amount of people turned up - I think it must have been all of Odense! Here - taken on my not so great camera phone which seems to turn all my photos blue - shows a very wide street usually totally empty but now filled with thousands of people. It was so much fun. Everyone brings a blanket, some drinks, maybe a disposable BBQ and has fun with family and friends. Then at 9:30pm they light this HUGE bonfire which has a "witch" at the top of it (it's an old tradition but for what I don't know - I guess the old witch hunts).

Oh yes, and to give you an idea of the scale - this is just the street in the middle of two HUGE fields. In the one on the left is the lake with a huge fountain in the middle. It goes back really, really far.
On the right of the road pictured is a large field now completely jam packed with people just like how you see on this road; some sitting, some standing and some walking around.
This picture really doesn't show how big the place is or just how many people there are. Just multiply what you see in this picture by 20 or more!
posted by Erin @ 12:43:00 PM  
2 Comments:
  • At June 24, 2007 at 6:02:00 PM GMT+1, Blogger JaamZIN said…

    what a blue picture! the event must be lovely

     
  • At June 28, 2007 at 9:49:00 PM GMT+1, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    i've been in DK during this time of year - always seen those witch burning things on the news, but never went to one. But its a lovely time of year - probably my favorite. At the end of my year in Odense, the family I was staying with moved out to Faborg for the summer. Do you ever go down there? If you do, I'd love to have my memory refreshed with some pictures.

    Diane

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
A daily photo from Odense, Denmark - the third largest city in DK! Situated on the island of Funen.
About Me

Name: Erin
Home: Odense, Funen, Denmark
About Me:
See my complete profile
Previous Post
Archives
Shoutbox

Name :
Web URL :
Message :

Other Daily Photo Blogs
Powered by

hit counter account login
BLOGGER